My name is Ernest Lucas Hizza from Tanzania, 37, with an MSc in Natural Resources Assessment and Management from the University of Dar es Salaam. Currently, I am working as Lecture at Moshi Co-operative University in Tanzania.
I have a pig-keeping project that I started in February 2015. I started the project by procuring six pigs with the expectation of increasing the number to 50 by February 2016.
The main goal of the project is to rent a shop and be a supplier of frozen pork at the centre of Moshi town, where the market of frozen pork is very high to individuals and hotels.
Since the start of the project, it has been facing the challenge of getting adequate and reliable water because the existing piped water system does not suffice the demand of the community in the area where the project is implemented.
Sustainability of the project will depend on the availability of adequate and reliable water. This requires a sustainable solution of drilling a well at the site so as to have adequate water that can be used by pigs as well as watering fodder for feeding them.
Having reliable and adequate water, then raising the number of pigs to 50 after every six months will be achieved and the target of starting the supply of frozen pork will be achieved.
The expected profit for very six months is USD 3,000.
Project funds (USD 5,000) will be used as follows:
- Drilling of water well and installation of equipment USD 2,000
- Construction of a new house to accommodate more10 pigs USD 1,000
- Renting a shop for distribution of Frozen Pork USD 1,000
- Procuring feeder for more10 pigs USD 500
- Procuring pigs vaccination USD 500
Blogpost and picture submitted by Ernest Lucas Hizza (Tanzania): ernestlucasi[at]gmail.com
The content, structure and grammar are at the discretion of the author only.
This post is published as proposal #297 of “YAP” – our “Youth Agripreneur Project”.
The first selection of the winners will be based on the number of comments, likes and views each proposal gets.
As a reader, you can support this speaker’s entry:
- Leave a comment (question, suggestion,..) on this project in the comment field at the bottom of this page
- Support the post by clicking the “Like” button below (only possible for those with a com account)
- Spread this post via your social media channels, using the hashtag: #GCARD3
Have a look at the other “YAP” proposals too!
As a donor, support young agripreneurs and sponsor this unique project.
Check out the side column for our current sponsors. “YAP” is part of the #GCARD3 process, the third Global Conference on Agricultural Research for Development.