My name is Abiodun Quadri, I was able to turned N500 into N70, 000 within five months selling pap in my neighbourhood by processing maize into pap which is staple food for infants and adult.
I am an inventor of i2laundryBag, BagnBin, Yoyo bag, Qinkbin, multi-swift washer and Quickmobilefood. I hold a B.edu in Accounting Education.
I am an awardee of Tony Elumelu Entrepreneurship programme and certify farmer with certificate in farmer training organised by AGRA INNOVATE NIGERIA.I participated in just concluded Africa Business Conference organize by Lagos Business School in Lagos, Nigeria.
I am currently working on new solar dryer for processing plantain and other farm produce to reduce spoilage.
Am a tech Startup and a farmer. I owned and manage three acres farmland of which two acres was already used to plant 2200 plantains, strictly on organic practice and the one acre will be used to grow maize, cucumber watermelon and other vegetables.
I intend to bring value addition by processing unripe plantain to flour as health food for consumption .Presently there is no enough supply of plantain flour to meet huge demand especially in Lagos with population of 30,000,000 people above. Base on health benefit of plantain flour to other flour. There is a lot of demand for plantain flour and we are position to fill the gap by offering organic hygienic process plantain flour for our local market.
Our farm was created to meet the needs of Nigerian that shares the same views of growing, eaten and feeding children and adults with organic farm produce to nourished and save our ecosystem. We are introducing value addition by processing plantain into dry chips for making plantain flour as a staple food for diabetic patient with our invention of solar heater.
This application also prevents damages to fresh farm produces. More so, part of our effort is to contribute and increase food security in Nigeria and take active part in agribusiness in southwest which had been neglected for many decade. Through which I already created direct and indirect employment opportunities in our community.
The processing line for plantain flour production is as follows:
- Sorting: This involves inspection of plantain fingers to identify and remove unsuitable ones i.e. spoilt, immature pulps e.t.c.
- Scaling: The sorted plantains are properly weighed to quantify input of the raw plantain.
- Blanching: The green plantain fruits are soaked in hot water for some minutes to soften the skin for easy peeling.
- Peeling: The plantain peels are removed manually using sharp knives to obtain the pulp.
- Slicing/Chipping: The pulp is sliced or chipped with the aid of a mechanical slicer.
- Drying: The sliced plantain is dried in a short time with the aid of drying machine.
- Milling: The dried plantain slices/chips are milled in a hammer mill.
- Sieving: The flour is sieved to obtain the desire particle size.
- Packaging: The flour is packaged in moisture proof packaging material ready for sale.
Production volume per month = 3tones (3000 Kg)
Direct cost of sales: N472,000
Gross profit: N518,000
Operating Expenses: N230,000
Profit before tax: N288, 000
We advertise our products benefits through internet, newspapers, television and partake in Agriculture exhibition. We will also visit our target customer by letting them see the benefit of our organic plantain and let them know we can supply on monthly basis.
- Registered Quadri Invention limited as limited liability company in Nigeria
- Purchase one acre of land presently clear it for planting
- Lease two acres of farming land
- Presently planted 2200 pieces of plantains
- We had established business relationship with distributor
Measures of Success
- Our success factor will be to contribute to increasing in national food security in Nigeria
- Processing plantain into plantain flour is profitable business that generate adequate revenue per month
- Creating job opportunities within our community is one of our big achievement.
- Impacting technical know-how on practical and managing agribusiness through organizing seminar for youth empowerment
Budget of $5000:
- Purchase plantain flour milling and packaging machine
- Solar Dryer
- vibrating sieve
- Time frame set to have listed machine is July to September 2016 in order to meet harvest period
- I plan to inject proceed from sale of maize,cucumber,watermelon to augment $5000
Blogpost, video and picture submitted by Abiodun Quadri (Nigeria) – letmeknow111(at)gmail.com
The content, structure and grammar is at the discretion of the author only.
This post is published as proposal #194 of “YAP” – our “Youth Agripreneur Project”.
The first selection of the winners will be based on the number of comments, likes and views each proposal gets.
As a reader, you can support this speaker’s entry:
- Leave a comment (question, suggestion,..) on this project in the comment field at the bottom of this page
- Support the post by clicking the “Like” button below (only possible for those with a WordPress.com account)
- Spread this post via your social media channels, using the hashtag: #GCARD3
Have a look at the other “YAP” proposals too!
As a donor, support young agripreneurs and sponsor this unique project. Check out the side column for our current sponsors.
“YAP” is part of the #GCARD3 process, the third Global Conference on Agricultural Research for Development.