My name is Fisnik Shaqiri, 27 years old from Republic of Kosovo. I have finished my Bachelor degree at Faculty of Agriculture in Agroeconomy, University of Prishtina, Kosovo 2007-2010. In 2012 I have started my Master course in Hungary at Szent Istvan University, Godollo and in 2014 June I am graduated MSc in Rural Development and Agribusiness. The gained knowledge will help me a lot to the administration of the Strawberry model and to the externalization of the products.
During my study in Hungary I got experiences in the field of business farming, meeting with Hungarian farmers from which I got inspired. Also I have participated in many conferences, I can highlight my participation in the “Global Forum and Expo on Family Farming” in Budapest, March 2014 as organizer and exhibitor.
In 2013 I became part of Young Professionals for Agricultural Development of Kosovo (YPARD Kosovo) and thank to YPARD I had chance to participate in congress held in Milan under the title “Rural Communities: No Longer Left Behind. Rural and Regional Development in the South and North Mediterranean and the New Neighborhood Policy”.
Since October 2015 I am working as teaching assistant in Faculty of Agriculture, department of Agricultural Economics at University of Prishtina, Kosovo. And also I share my knowledge with young farmers in farming and giving them information about any projects relating to agriculture area, this makes me so happy.
The need for small fruits (strawberry) increasingly is growing while production of small fruits increasingly lag by comparison with the growth of needs that people have. In order to collect data and basis of the findings which I have occurred in the market during the research and consultation with many different commercial, I have concluded that there is a lack of large domestic products and especially with fresh strawberry.
This project I have started from last year, I set up two greenhouses and I have planted 2000 seedlings of strawberries in very good conditions (Varieties: 1000 Alba and 1000 Elsanta). In this business I have employed 3 family members.
With the support of the project “YAP” I am very motived to extend this area from 0.04 to 0.10 ha with greenhouses and 0.10 ha in small tunnels which means I can employ three other people from my village which are non-employed.
I also will encourage and help young people, my friends here in the village as an expert of agriculture to plant strawberries in their own land and with that later on we will make a point collector for strawberry.
Why in greenhouse? Because the price of strawberry in season time is 1 euro per Kg, but earlier 1 month before the season the price of imported strawberries from Greece is 2 euro per 0.5 kg which means 4 euro/kg. Last year in May I could sell my strawberries 2.40 Euro per kg but from this year strawberries will be ready for the market around middle of April which means I will catch the price the same with imported strawberries. So with that I can say that planting strawberries in greenhouses is very profitability and it is very delicious as fresh fruit for consumers. I have this experience from previous year when many consumers asked for fresh strawberries and sweet.
The yield of strawberry is around 1 kg per seedling, net it is 0.750 kg and price expected to be approximately 3 Euro/kg
2000 seedlings * 0.750 kg = 1500 kg * 3 Euro = 4500 Euro in 0.04 ha
I would like to list some septs which I intend to achieve my goal:
- Extending the area with greenhouses (strawberries) plus 0.04 ha until end of August 2016 and 0.10 ha in tunnels
- Also will be Installed irrigation system drip-drip
- I will supply several major supermarkets in the city, already I have agreement with them and which are very close about 2 km from my place and which is an advantage since the strawberry is a sensitive fruit during the transportation and it is another good advantage that I can sell directly to consumers because the greenhouses are located near the road which leads to the city, So the sale is guaranteed based from experience of last year.
During my Master study in Hungary I got some extra money for the study and from those money I could save and planting strawberries was kind of my dream. So in 2015 I started and of course with my father and brothers support I could start this small Agribusiness.
The total investment of my business is 4000 Euro till now.
In all this project also I can measure my success:
- 04 ha greenhouses built in very good conditions
- From last experience, I could sell all strawberries (I couldn’t meet consumer’s requirements compared with their needs. I have sold around 300 kg it was first year and planted late.
- Three family members are employed in the harvesting time;
Budget and frame
- In June I will construct greenhouse 0.04 ha which will cost around 3000 euro and
- I will open a wells (500 euro),
- In August will be planted 2000 seedlings which will cost 0.25 cents per seedling in total 500 euro,
- Irrigation system will be installed in the same time (200 euro),
- Plastic covering (for greenhouse) 434 euro
- Other necessary equipment around 200 Euro
- The total cost of the project will be 4834 Euro.
Blogpost and picture submitted by Fisnik Shaqiri (Kosovo) – fisnik.shaqiri[at]hotmail.com
The content, structure and grammar is at the discretion of the author only.
This post is published as proposal #122 of “YAP” – our “Youth Agripreneur Project”.
The first selection of the winners will be based on the number of comments, likes and views each proposal gets.
As a reader, you can support this speaker’s entry:
- Leave a comment (question, suggestion,..) on this project in the comment field at the bottom of this page
- Support the post by clicking the “Like” button below (only possible for those with a WordPress.com account)
- Spread this post via your social media channels, using the hashtag: #GCARD3
Have a look at the other “YAP” proposals too!
As a donor, support young agripreneurs and sponsor this unique project. Check out the side column for our current sponsors.
“YAP” is part of the #GCARD3 process, the third Global Conference on Agricultural Research for Development.