On Monday evening, the CGIAR presented awards to international teams and individuals from the CGIAR Centers for their outstanding contribution to the international agricultural research community. Winners included:
- Dr. Parminder Virk, Senior Scientist in plant breeding at IRRI, received the Outstanding Scientific Support Team award on behalf of the team.
- Dr. William Dar, Director General of ICRISAT, received the Outstanding Partnership Award on behalf of his Center.
- Dr. Abdou Tenkaouano, Director of the World Vegetable Center’s Africa office, accepted the award for Outstanding Partnership in addition to their ICRISAT colleagues.
- Dr. Jonne Rodenburg, Scientist for the Africa Rice Center in Tanzania, collected the Young Promising Scientist award.
- Dr. David Molden, Deputy Director General of Research, Global Change, Water and Environment of IWMI, received the Outstanding Scientist award.
- Dr. Paul Van Mele, a learning and innovation systems specialist from the Africa Rice Center, was named as the winner of the Outstanding Communications award.
- Busani Bafana, an agricultural correspondent and journalist for IPS Africa, received the award for Outstanding Agricultural Journalism.
- Dr. Achim Dobermann, Deputy Director General of IRRI, received the award for Outstanding Article on behalf of Dr. Roland Buresh of IRRI, who was one of two selected to receive this honor.
- Dr. John Hoddinott, Senior Research Fellow at IFPRI received the award for Outstanding Article.
The Agropolis Foundation also announced the winners of two scientific awards. The 2010 Louis Malassis Young Promising Scientist Award went to Dr. Silvia Restrepo, Associate Professor at the University of Los Andes in Bogota Colombia, for her work in identifying alternative methods to combat plant diseases. This year’s Louis Malassis International Scientific Distinguished Scientist Award went to Dr. Ken Sayre, Regional Agronomist for Asia at CIMMYT, for his work in training both farmers and agronomists to implement new bed-planting technologies for both irrigated and rain-fed crop systems.